Friday, August 03, 2007

Life Is Like One Big Amusement Park. So my son, the great philosopher says. This week is soccer tryouts at our junior high school. We have experienced one big string of unbelievable bad timing incidents. First of all, had we not moved back here from Tucson, he would have been able to just sign up for every sport he wanted to play with no tryouts. Here, there are tryouts. An entire week of them, two hours a night, for each sport. The year before he started junior high, there were A teams and B teams. The year he started junior high, the B teams were cut because there weren't large enough numbers at competing schools. So the A teams fill up really fast primarily with club team players. Last year in 7th grade, approximately 30 students tried out for 18 spots. 12 had to be cut. This year in 7th grade, only 18 students tried out for 18 positions. They all get to be on the team. My son is in 8th grade. 26 students tried out for 18 positions. 7 will be cut today after school. He has such a wonderful attitude, but I told him it was more painful for me. The next day he came to me and said "Mom I thought about what you said and I want to tell you that I look at life like one big amusement park and this is just one of the rides." Now why can't I look at life like that???

5 comments:

Dede Warren said...

here here smart son, you have the secret to a happy life!

Anonymous said...

O.K. wow. You have quite the philosopher on your hands.... don't really know where to go with that one except ::::woo~hoo:::!!! Now there's a page topper if I ever read one!!!

Jill said...

You have a very wise son! I remember those days with my son... treacherous...nerve-wracking...yikes! But no matter what... they all survive (better than Mom!) and learn from each situation.

Anastasia said...

what a FAB attitude and yes something we should follow too!
goodluck to him with his sport...Peter starts soccer next year - cant wait!!

Lena said...

Your son is going to do well with his life. Best wishes to him!
I know how you feel though. It's hard to be the mom sometimes.